httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stevi...@aol.com
Subject [users@httpd] log overload
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:18:26 GMT
I am not very computer literate, so I am hoping someone can give me
simplified, step-by-step help on my problem.
My server was recently put on-line via a Cable Modem with several other
servers. A hub was used to do this, I have ftp access only unless I am sitting in
front of my server. (I'm told I cannot have telnet access due to the cable, hub
etc)
Anyway, every time the cable goes down, my servers access_log and to some
extent the errror_log grow to such extreme proportions that my server in essence
becomes full. My message boards begin failing, as does my membership program
then individual pages disappear.
Could my tech have forgotten to set something for the change of my IP
address?
Will Rotate Logs help this? If so, do I have to have something to Pipe the
logs into?
Is there a way my server can be configured to give me ftp access to my log
files? If so, can I purge them myself through ftp?
I realise these are alot of questions, but the tech I have knows almost
nothing about Apache.
  Sincerely,
      Stevi