httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help needed on multiple domain root directories ver 1.3.28 Win32
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:04:55 GMT
Webmaster wrote:
> I have located a hosts.sam file in C:\Windows
> It had just the one entry in it as
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
>
> So, I added your suggestions as per the following...
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.0.2     eagles-lair.dyndns.org
> 192.168.0.2     *.eagles-lair.dyndns.org
> 192.168.0.2     warrinavalley.dyndns.org
> 192.168.0.2     *.warrinavalley.dyndns.org
>
> Unfortunately it didn't work - either with or without the lines with a *

Well, it *should* work. Even in Windows 98! As Brian suggested, you probably
can't have the wild-cards there; I just had this vague memory of it being
supported.

I don't know why your file is named "hosts.sam"; it should be just "HOSTS"
(as Zuri also pointed out). Try give it correct name, and you will probably
also need a reboot (we're talking Windows here ;).

What do happen when you try to access eg. warrinavalley.dyndns.org? Try to
nslookup, traceroute or ping, it.

If you aren't sure what goes wrong, or at which point, you might find a
sniffer (http://www.ethereal.com/) helpful, to see where stuff is travelling
to.

Other solutions might involve using your Apache box as a local proxy, which
you might be able to tweak to deliver your local sites. I don't have much
experience with proxies, so I cannot say exactly how, though.

Regards,
Robert Andersson