httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] A newbie question
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:00:02 GMT
Ebaad Ahmed wrote:
> I just got the name registered with network solutions,
> and I entered the primary and secondary dns servers
> as:
> ns1.xyz.com
> ns2.xyz.com
> and the static IP address of my solaris server.

You mean that you gave it as the IP of the name servers? Are you running a
DNS server (eg. BIND) on that box?

A domin name under a TLD (=Top Level Domain) must (usually) have at least
two name servers. When a hostname such as "www.xyz.com", is resolved a root
server will be asked, which will reply "ask any of these servers, they are
responsible for com.". In the next round, one of these servers will be asked
about "www.xyz.com"'s IP, but they don't know, they only knows which
nameservers are responsible for "xyz.com.". When contacting one of them, we
will finally get the IP.

So, unless you really do run a DNS server, you will have to either setup
your own or have someone else take care of it. I'm pretty sure
NetworkSolutions do offer DNS service.

Regards,
Robert Andersson