httpd-users mailing list archives

From "tti01@earthlink.net" <tt...@earthlink.net>
Subject [users@httpd] newbie question
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:52:00 GMT
My apologies if this has been answered previously. I searched the archives
but wasn't sure how to specify the search and I didn't find an answer.

How does Apache 2 search for which index.html file to display for it's home
page?
Assume the following-
1) listening on port 80
2) doc root has a blank page file called index.html
3) various Alias directives in httpd.conf

I assume the default location to look is doc root when pointing a browser
to http://server.mydomain.com.
If not useable index.html in doc root, does Apache search top down in
httpd.conf for Alias or other directives where there is a useable
index.html?
If not, how would Apache display a page from another different path is this
scenario?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can explain this "search path" concept to
me.

http://mail2web.com/ .