httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] APACHE2+WinXP "You don't have permission to access /~..."
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:19:13 GMT
Herberto Gra├ža wrote:
> This is the error log for my last try:
> [Wed Sep 24 11:56:25 2003] [error] [client 81.193.9.6] Directory index
> forbidden by rule: C:/Documents and Settings/Herberto/My Documents/My
> Website/

Never underestimate the power of the error log. Here we see that Apache
indeed wants to generate an index, but that option is not turned on (Options
Indexes, see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options). It
would only do this if it cannot find an index document in the directory.

So, this implies that you do not have an index.html in that directory, or
that you don't have index.html in your DirectoryIndex directive. See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_dir.html#directoryindex

Try to link directly to a file in the directory, eg.
http://127.0.0.1/~herberto/somefile.html

Regards,
Robert Andersson