httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anders Eriksson <anders.eriks...@morateknikutveckling.se>
Subject [users@httpd] Is the default installation on windows secure?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:20:06 GMT
Hello!

I installed Apache 2 (apache_2.0.47-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi) on Windows 2000 a
couple of days ago. The only thing I have changed is that I have created a
new htdocs with a new index.html, which only contains a background image
and some text.

Today I was fibbling (technical term) with my firewall, which is the
Agnitum Outpost Free version 1, I noticed that someone else (besides me)
was accessing the Apache server.

I then looked up the access.log and there was a number of strange loggings!
Were all kinds of .dll's and .exe's was called.

The response from Apache seemed to be 404 for the most of the strange
things, but there was some 3xx and even 200.

Not knowing anything about the security of Apache I stopped the service...

So I wonder:
How safe is the default installation?
What can I do to make it safer?

// Anders