httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron W Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How many connected users
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:29:54 GMT
On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 13:52, Free Grafton wrote:
> Robert,
> Thanks for some enlightenment on that. We are actually using PHP sessions to
> store user information and an individuals level of permissions to their
> site, things like that.
> While the information on mod_status information is helpful, you are correct
> in that it isn't showing me the total number of users. I am reticent to keep
> increasing the server limit and maxclients as it appears to make no
> difference on the time that sessions are timing out for individuals when
> they are logged in. They are already set to 1000 on each. I have checked all
> my PHP settings and there isn't really anything there that would make a
> difference in this case as far as I can tell.
>
> Free Grafton

More than likely, your application is setting a session cookie in the
browser.  When the cookie expires (could be when the browser is closed,
30 minutes, 6 months, etc) the session is no longer valid, although PHP
probably still has the session information.  No apache setting is going
to have an effect on session lifetime (unless the session is tied to the
specific apache process/thread that set the session information, but
that is unlikely).

You will have to do some investigation on how your application manages
sessions from the client perspective (cookies, URL rewritting, SSL ID
tracking, etc).