httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Newbie needs help with IP addresses
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:28:51 GMT
Simon Thurtle wrote:
> If I want to make 127.0.0.1 an accessable IP address over a LAN on this
> machine, what do I add to the above?!!

Oh dear...

See here, if you are on a LAN, your computer already has another IP. To
determine which IP this is, follow what other posters have said.

Now, you have two problems to solve:
1) Making Apache sit on the correct socket(s)
2) Connect to your box from the other boxes.

For 1), if you have a Listen directive, make sure it reads "Listen 80", and
not "Listen 127.0.0.1:80". This will make Apache bind to all available
interfaces. If you have NameVirtualHost and <VirtualHost> blocks, use an
asterisk (*) instead of any IP address in them. If this isn't chrystal clear
to you, RTFMs:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#listen
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#virtualhost
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

For 2), I assume your box do not have a FQDN, so you'll need to do 1 of 2
things:
1) Find your IP (ipconfig), and on the other boxes (or your own) type in
http://a.b.c.d/.
2) On each box that your box should be accessed from, add an entry in their
hosts file (%windows%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts), that corresponds to your
box' IP and hostname(s). Then you can access your box by
http://yourownhostname/. This is necessary if you want to run several
namebased virtual hosts.

Of course, if you have a dynamic IP address (DHCP), you'll have trouble
either way.

By reading your posts, I get the feeling that it would do you good to read
up on networking in general, and TCP/IP, HTTP and DNS in particular.

Regards,
Robert Andersson