httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ot: help needed on multiple domain root directories ver 1.3.28 Win32
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:16:51 GMT
Slightly off-topic.

Happen to know of a way to get Linux kernel 2.4 to do this with iptables or
routes?

> I din't know if there are any DNS proxies that can be used for this
> as well. The nicest alternative would be a local DNS proxy (or a
> simple caching server) wich check's it's own hosts file before
> asking the real DNS system. Wouldn't be suprised if someone had
> made such a thing.

dnsmasq in Linux was designed for use on a box that does IP masquerading
(NAT), to provide DNS services locally (loading from the NAT's /etc/hosts
and an optional extra hosts file, and optional reading from DHCP leases
files), performing DNS responses or forwarding of requests and caching of
results.

> Or, you could exchange the little NAT router for an old PC running
> OpenBSD and set that up so accessing the local machine with the
> external IP address works fine. :-)

Never used OpenBSD, but used FreeBSD and that would work well too, but that
might be overkill.  Using Debian GNU/Linux, which does the job well enough,
on an old 486-100MHz.  :)