httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache has FrontPage Server Installation
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:41:15 GMT
Jack L. Stone wrote:
> I will switch when there is something better [than FrontPage]

No, there are much better techniques. The reason you won't switch is because
the cost of the extreme overhead it would require to switch. That was one of
my points: If one starts using FrontPage one cannot easily start using other
tools/technologies, because FrontPage, like all other MS products, is a
monolithic (all-in-one) monster. Now, because all your content is
interweaved with you web site presentation, you cannot easily choose another
presentation if you have to.

A key in all forms of administration is automation; if you do one thing more
than two times, automate it! Separate mechanism from policy; even if it is
harder, it will pay back in the longrun. FrontPage, again like other of MS
software, is inherently hostile towards good engineering practice.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't continue using FrontPage, but the
discussion was towards learning good practice for web development. That
isn't as much about learning HTML, as it is learning good URI design,
modularity, flexibilty, and how to generate contents and glueing it
together.

Regards,
Robert Andersson