httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache has FrontPage Server Installation
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:23:00 GMT
Jack L. Stone wrote:
> I cringe at the thought of doing this with any other editor and certainly
> not with a text editor. That might be okay at sites where the content
> rarely changes.

One usually makes templates in a text editor, and write code to pull
contents from a database, and provide other logic to the documents. It is
very hard to incorporate 3rd party components and custom code in documents
created by an editor like FrontPage.

For example, say you want to intergrate an Open Source forum package on your
website, so that registered users will see that they are logged in while
browsing the rest of your site, how would you do that in FrontPage? And,
what if you want to give some visitors access to extra contents/information?

> I'm more interested in production of the documents than the code
underneath.

Too bad that the code FrontPage generate isn't standard complient (X)HTML,
so the documents will generally not look the same unless you use Internet
Explorer on Windows.

> Probably it's pretty ugly underneath MS WORD, but it does the job for me
> now.

It sure is ugly. Difference here is that it isn't an open format, intended
to be interpreted by various agents, like (X)HTML.

Regards,
Robert Andersson