httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] htpasswd with Apache 2.0 - extra characters at the end of the password
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:34:10 GMT
Hello,

Check out mod_auth docs.  http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth.html
and the core docs for AuthType and Require directives.

Use the htpasswd program to generate usernames and password in an .htpasswd
file.  Type htpasswd with no args to see usage.  Make sure your PATH has the
"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin" folder.

Create a new .htpasswd file:

htpasswd -c \path\to\.htpasswd user1
password prompts: user1

Add a new user to existing file:

htpasswd \path\to\.htpasswd user2
password prompts: user2

.htpasswd file looks like this:
user1:$apr1$4r0.....$UhfqMbRX/Hm/zIapnQnes.
user2:$apr1$ar0.....$KVQb4b../XWSGjV2nPSOJ/

Put it in a safe place outside your web or DocumentRoot folders.

Choose if you're going to put your Auth stuff in a Directory block, or use
AllowOveride AuthConfig, and put in an .htaccess into the folder to protect.

Directory or .htaccess Directives used (very simple):

AuthUserFile "\path\to\.htpasswd"
AuthName "protected server"
AuthType Basic
Require valid-user