httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] initial test fail
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:49:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olaf Lachowicz" <olaflachowicz@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] initial test fail

> I thought I posted just text. Sorry, do you mean the links?

Ahh, someone had responded and the text was colored, and when I replied I
had the colored bars instead of > for the previous message.  It's better for
viewing the mail archives on the web, I think.  And for those who use
plain-text mail programs like mutt on unices, it's less annoying and much
easier to read than filtering through some HTML or exporting the attachment
to a file and viewing in Lynx text-based web browser.

> What would I be looking for in the access and error logs? Sorry, never
done
> this before..., any hints appreciated.

Any messages with information... invalid this, error that, if a page was
served... it can vary.

Maybe backup a bit and try this first.  Put Apache's bin folder in your
PATH.

PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin";

Or whereever your Apache's bin folder is located.  Then run this command, to
check your conf\httpd.conf.

apache -t

Are there any errors, or does it say "Syntax OK"?  If it's OK, then your
only other place to check errors are in the access and error log files.
Look in the access log file to see if there's any GET / requests coming in
from 127.0.0.1 or if any pages are actually served out (i.e. the status
codes).  The 200 status code is the SUCCESS status.  1494 is the number of
bytes served (should match the index.html file).  A 404 status code means
not found, and there's usually an assosciated message in the error log.  285
is the size of the 404 not found error page.

Good request: access.log: 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Sep/2003:17:31:47 -0400] "GET /
HTTP/1.1" 200 1494

Bad request: access.log: 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Sep/2003:17:34:03 -0400] "GET
/nonexistent HTTP/1.1" 404 285
Bad request: error.log: [Mon Sep 08 17:34:03 2003] [error] [client
127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/htdocs/nonexistent

> When I type LOCAL_ECHO in plain windows telnet (command) window it gives
me
> "invalid command".

I'm in win2k, may differ from XP, not sure.

Type: telnet

Within telnet (DOS box should say Command Prompt - telnet), type "display",
notice LOCAL_ECHO.  Is it "on" or "off"?  If it's off, type "set LOCAL_ECHO"
and then check again with "display".  It should be "on" now.  Now the text
you type next (GET / HTTP/1.1) won't disappear.  You should see it (because
what you type is being echoed locally).

Type: open localhost 80
Type: GET / HTTP/1.1
Type: Host:
Type enter twice.

On my system, I can use GET / alone, or GET / HTTP/1.1 alone, but if I
specify GET / HTTP/1.1, I MUST include the Host header, even if empty (per
HTTP/1.1 spec).  A success should indicate "HTTP/1.1 200 OK", otherwise
probably a "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request" if you specify HTTP/1.1 and forget the
Host header.

NOTE: You may need to allow telnet access in your firewall software for the
test, and then disable it after the test.

Hope that helps.

Leif

> Olaf

Edition