httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache has FrontPage Server Installation ?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:13:41 GMT
My $0.02.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David" <amdawong@starhub.net.sg>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 12:55 PM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache has FrontPage Server Installation ?

> Dear Bill,
>
> Perhaps you are right. However, you have to agree to a certain extent
> that FrontPage is really a good starting point for most amateur web
> hobbyist. I am one. Frontpage is easy to understand and easy to use.

By this excuse or reasoning, any GUI program may be a good starting point,
to generate some code, and then look at the code.  But why not use something
like DreamWeaver?  Anyways, by choosing FP, it's maybe an easy place for you
to start, but IMHO it's like a crutch which easily turns into a ball and
chain, keeping you from learning anything of substance, like CGI programming
for simple forms processing using Perl or PHP.  And by the way, I leanred
HTML code by viewing source on web pages, copying sections, pasting into
emacs (later in vi, NotePad or TextPad or UltraEdit when in win-land).
Basic theme: a plain-text editor is ALL YOU NEED, and in fact should be
REQUIRED to learn HTML properly.  You'll make mistakes and LEARN from them.
:-)

All these "server extensions" are doing is stuff you can handle with Perl or
PHP (or shell script or TCL or Python or Java or C or C++), and you don't
need them.  Even if you want to develop in Front Page initially (yikes! it
makes SCARY code), the best technique is by tweaking the code, looking in
the browser and taking note of what changed.  You can "rip the guts" out of
the HTML FORM, and just change the NAME attributes and the ACTION and METHOD
attributes, and point it to your own script.  It's fairly easy once you get
the hang of it.  You could look for tutorial sites from Google.  I could
even write a VERY SIMPLE example (off list) and show you, as a place to get
started.

> More of a concern to me is that security of web servers running
> frontpage server extensions. I understand from previous discussions that
> Apache by far is one of the most reliable web servers around.
>
> I would like to know if installing IIS ( which is required if I want to
> use FrontPage Server Extensions,FPSE) and subsequently installing FPSE
> will affect the security of my server - specifically more susceptible to
> hacker attacks ?

If security is your major concern then I can't think you'd spend any time
considering IIS.  You'd probably be infected within a week and spewing out
attacks on other computers, not to mention probably root compromised within
a few months.  Unless you're planning to stay awake night and day, update
all those hotfixes as soon as they come out, i.e. LONG BEFORE they find
themselves on the windows update page, if you can deal with security holes
that go for months unfixed, and can do without the excellent Apache Users
support of a mailing list and accompanying archives and online documentation
and community, then by all means go over to IIS.

Leif