httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Gade" <bg...@svcn.mb.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] SSL Issue When Proxy Chaining
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:03:07 GMT
I have a problem with SSL on a chained proxy setup.  Here is what happens:

I run Novell Bordermanager 3.7 as a proxy server for about 700 computers
inside our school.  Each computer runs MSIE set to proxy thru the
Bordermanager Server.  The bordermanager server is chained to an Apache
2.0.47 box that runs mod_proxy.  Normal webpages work perfectly fine.

When a client sends a request to the bordermanager for a SSL site, they
receive an error 400 from the apache box.  When a client sends a SSL request
directly thru the apache box (ie, MSIE proxy set to apache ip), it works
fine.

Near as I can tell the difference between the two requests is a /.  See
below:

>From the Bordermanager:
122.247 - - [19/Sep/2003:10:06:01 -0500] "CONNECT www.edline.net:443/ HT
TP/1.0" 400 302

>From the MSIE directly:
122.13 - - [19/Sep/2003:10:08:24 -0500] "CONNECT www.edline.net:443 HTTP
/1.0" 200 -

So to me it appears the problem is the / after the :443.  It does not appear
that I am able to alter the behaviour of the Novell box.  How can I make the
apache box accept the request that has the /?

Thanks...

Bill Gade
Network Admin
Swan Valley School Division