httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David" <amdaw...@starhub.net.sg>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] htpasswd with Apache 2.0 - extra characters at the end of the password
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:55:32 GMT

Hi !!

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

"Safety is a relative thing... but in this case, outside htdocs could
mean
something like making a new folder, "\Apache Group\Apache2\private", and
restricting access to that folder and each file therein (i.e. read/write
access only by the user that the web server runs as)."

Does this mean that: When I restrict access to that folder only the
physical user on my computer which my webserver is running on will eb
able to access these files, in my case, the password file.

I am under the impression that any document is OUTSIDE the root document
folder( in my case is htdocs folder) will not be accessible by ANY
visitors of my website. So, putting the password OUTSIDE the htdocs
folder is safe.

I apologise for the confusion.

My next enquiry.
"I'm not sure if there's a way to allow only specific files.  There was
similar discussion about this last week.  For you, basically, put all
the
restricted files into the same folder, and put an .htaccess there.  Like
"\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\protected\" which has your .htaccess."

I am not too familiar with the .htaccess issue. Is it a file ? or a
directive? Many thanks for your time and attention.

Regards
David