httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael McKenzie" <msmcken...@comcast.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Slow/No response from Apache 1.3.27 on a Netware 6.0 Server
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:14:12 GMT
Software Involved:  Netware 6.0, GroupWise WebAccess 6.5, Tomcat 33, Apache
1.3.27

Hardware:  HP Netserver (P3 with 2G RAM, 70+ MB HD, Onboard NIC with CE100
Drivers)

Network:  Connected to a Cisco Switch

I've installed a server that is functioning as a Groupwise WebAccess server
only.  There are no other apps running on it.  Essentially, this server
takes requests from users through a browser and passes those requests to
another Netware server that is running the GroupWise App.  At random
intervals, the WebAccess server stops responding to new requests from people
who are trying to login to the web client (or becomes very slow-upwards of 2
minutes to load a simple 2 text box form for login).

Some troubleshooting that I've done up to this point include seeing which
ports and which apps are working for the server.  During a period of
unresponsiveness, I am able to connect to a management interface on the
server through IE using port 2200 on a https connection.  There appears to
be no unresponsiveness on this management interface.  If I try to connect to
http://ipaddress <http://ipaddress/> , there is no response.  If I try to
connect to http://ipaddress/servlet/webacc, there is no response.  And if I
try to connect to https://ipaddress/servlet/webacc, there is no response.  I
suppose the main thing that I'm seeing with this is that if tomcat was the
issue, then it should only be unresponsive when connecting to the
servlet/webacc path.  In this instance, even port 80 doesn't work.  I can't
understand how apache is providing the connectivity for both 2200 & 80, and
one works and one doesn't.  The problem doesn't appear to be load related.
This can happen on a weekday when 150+ users are accessing it or on a Sunday
night when there is virtually no one on the system.

Another interesting observation is that when the problem is happening, we
can still see users access, sending, reading, mail through the webaccess
agent.  This indicates they are communicating properly with the server on
http://ipaddress/servlet/webacc.  They usually do report a slow down in
response from the server, but they are still able to remain connected and
working.

We've looked over the server and see nothing that stands out.  No
extraordinary cpu utilization, network utilization or memory utilization.
Everything looks normal.

We did increase the ThreadPerChild from 50 to 250.  This is even unusual
though.  The users are connecting through a Bordermanager 3.6 Proxy server
which is forwarding the request to the web server.  Looking at the TCP/IP
stats, you can only see around 5 port 80 connections from this server even
if there are 150 users online at the time.  I don't quite understand this.

One last shot in the dark.has anyone ever seen DNS play a role in an issue
like this???  There isn't a DNS server on the network, and BM is providing
the translation from gw.companydomain.com to the ipaddress.

I've really hit a brick wall with this problem and don't know what else to
try, other than building a new server on new hardware and seeing if the same
problem still exists.   If anyone can think of anything that we might be
able to try, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike McKenzie