httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David" <amdaw...@starhub.net.sg>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Web Site Authentication
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:04:26 GMT
Dear YC,

I recently implemented a basic authentication system by making some
changes to the configuration httpd.conf and the use of .htaccess file
technique.

However, that approach have several limitations (unable to recognise the
state of the browser, time out events, re-identify the user when he
leaves and re-enter the realm). I understand PHP is the way to go if I
want to implement more advanced features.

I am in an attempt to pick up sufficient PHP to implement the
authentication system. I wonder if u can share your experience with me.
Many thanks! Samples and snippets of implementation codes and
configuration will be extremely helpful.

Regards,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: yc lim [mailto:meepokman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 12:09 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Web Site Authentication

Dear All,

Just an extension to website authentication.

I managed to acieve authentication using php i.e. log in page -> session
->
check for session at the beginning of every protected page.

Suppose I have a few files (e.g. .jpg, .bmp etc). How do I protect
them?? I
don't think they can be protected using php. Php only protects webpages
(coz
you can call a function to check for session at the beginning of every
page).

But what about files?? How do you protect them and integrate with the
php/session authntication??

yc