httpd-users mailing list archives

From "M.D. DeWar" <m...@s-wit.net>
Subject [users@httpd] apache virtual host questions concerning permissions and cgi-bin
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:49:49 GMT
Hello,
I have read the docs on virtual hosts.
I am not sure about some things tho.

I backed up my main websites from a COBALT RAQ 2.
I used tar --create --verbose --file=domain.tar web
then I gzip domain.tar

I ftped the file to the machine running apache 2.0.47
I then untarred it to a directory them mv * to thier own
/home/domains/somename

I have them all setup. The dns changes added and each site is accessible.

My questions are
the user::groups read from the cobalt redhat user/groups
What should they read. nobody www ?
Httpd.conf has the default of
user nobody
Group #-1

Also not sure about setting up the cgi-bins for each website.
On the raq2 each had its own directory but reading the docs seems that all
the cgi scripts should go into the /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin and I would
prefer to leave them in their own if possible unless thats too dangerous.

I made each domain's virtual settings in httpd.conf as per the manual like
this:
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin someone@domain.com
        DocumentRoot "/home/domains/websiteX/"
        ServerName www2.websiteX.com
        DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.shtml index.php
</VirtualHost>

Can I alias the cgi-bins in the /home/domains/websiteX directory ? should
the be moved to /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin/WEBSITEX ?

Confused big time on this one.

Thanks
mark