httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robyn Leveton" <ro...@creditnet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Duplicate CGI requests
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:05:15 GMT
Hi All,

I am having a CGI problem where a form is only physically submitted once
but results in duplicate requests.  It seems to be a browser specific
problem.  I am unable to duplicate it but a few of my customer have the
problem fairly consistently and they're both using the same browser
type.

When I searched the web I found someone who had had a similar problem
but was only able to find part of the thread so I don't know how they
solved it. I think it did point me in the right direction though.

These are the lines from the access_log pertaining to one of those
instances.
68.166.44.101 - - [11/Sep/2003:14:48:32 -0700] "POST /ccard/nph-ccard
HTTP/1.1" 200 - "https://merchants.creditnet.com/ccard/admin"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.16; Mac_PowerPC)"
68.166.44.101 - - [11/Sep/2003:14:48:34 -0700] "POST /ccard/nph-ccard
HTTP/1.0" 200 - "https://merchants.creditnet.com/ccard/admin"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.16; Mac_PowerPC)"

The original request is HTTP/1.1, the duplicated request is HTTP/1.0.

I found this in the httpd.conf file and I'm thinking that this may
either be the solution or the problem.

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

What I'm not clear about is whether I need to add a line to change the
way we're handling requests from that browser type "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 5.16; Mac_PowerPC)" or whether one of the existing
lines is actually causing the second 1.0 request/response for that
browser.  Or maybe this isn't the answer at all.

It doesn't look like those lines should match that browser but I'm not
certain.  Our SA recently left and there's no documentation in our .conf
file regarding what these lines were originally intended to address.

Has anyone else had this similar problem?

My eternal gratitude to anyone who can offer me some advice.

Regards,
Robyn