httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tomas Larsson" <larssonto...@telia.com>
Subject SV: [users@httpd] LIMIT BANDWIDHT USING APACHE 2.0.44
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:30:17 GMT

All messages originating from me are scanned with the latest updates of
Norton Antivirus 2K3.

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Leif W [mailto:warp-9.9@usa.net]
Skickat: den 4 september 2003 21:59
Till: users@httpd.apache.org
Ämne: Re: [users@httpd] LIMIT BANDWIDHT USING APACHE 2.0.44

Note, this reply may be off topic.

This is a good question I think, as other web servers may already have some
feature like this, so there should be some focus on systems running Apache
to find equivalent solutions, in order to continue to compete.

I've done some searching with Google for "Linux host based bandwith
management shaping" (and variations), but it's hard to find anything
specific.

First, I found the Apache mod_bandwidth page (
http://www.cohprog.com/v3/bandwidth/intro-en.html ), but the latest release
was 2003-01-12, and there's no mention of Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x anywhere in
the sparse documentation, so I am leery of this seemingly stale software
project.

The only relelvent stuff I found was the ADSL Bandwidth Management HOWTO (
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/ ) and
the HTB queue patch (included with kernel 2.4.20 and higher,
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/ ).

Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control ( http://www.lartc.org/ ).

Unfortunately the only bandwidth management I could see were IP-based.

I did come across various commercial hardware products claiming to do
host-based bandwidth management, but I did not spend much time looking at
those, as I do not have such money to throw away, when there's bound to be
some way to do it better, for free (eventually).

Leif