httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to allow from non-reversible host name?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:56:31 GMT

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> OK, I know how to do:   allow from <dotted IP address>
> and I know how to do:   allow from <domain suffix string>
> but how do I do:        allow from <non-reversible host by name>
>
> Apparently, the allow from mydomain.tld works by taking the requester's IP
> address and doing a reverse lookup to get the domain, and then doing a
> string match.  What I want is for httpd to lookup the IP address of the
> symbolic name I provide, and do an exact match against the IP returned.

I agree that this doesn't look possible.  It also doesn't seem all that
desirable as a general feature.  The obvious way to do this of course is
to simply substitute the IP addresses yourself, or use a configuration
preprocessor to substitute them if you need it done automatically.

Perhaps if you explained why you don't want to substitute the IP
addresses, someone might have an idea of how to address your problem.

Joshua.