httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to open .log extention file in apache
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:14:05 GMT

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, pijush koley wrote:

> Hi Milan,
>   Yeah!! I want to see the .log extension file in browser. I have followed your suggestion.
I have added an "Alias" and added "AddType text/plain .log" in httpd.conf file and restarted
the server. But still my luck betrayed me, when I click on the icon of the file (say test.log)
 on browser a downloading window pop ups instead of opening it.
> Now how can I open the test.log file in browser?

If you are using MSIE as a browser, then you are pretty much out of luck.
It is essentially impossible to reliably deliver text/plain content to
MSIE, because Microsoft ignores the HTTP standard and tries to guess a
"real" type.  This is both inconvenient, and has nasty security
implications.

Joshua.