httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Server header on Apache 2.0.47
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:02:03 GMT

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Jason Symons wrote:

> I'm having a problem with setting the server header in Apache to read
> something other than the default for security reasons. I've tried using
> mod_headers with the following command in the httpd.conf:
>
> Header set Server "New server name"
>
> However it continues to reply as "Apache/2.0.47 (Win32) mod_jk2/2.0.2".
> Does anybody have any ideas as how I can get this to work?

You cannot override the Server header using mod_headers.  Some
suggestions:

1. Find a better way to spend your time.  Changing the Server header will
not improve your security.

2. See the ServerTokens directive which will allow you to control the
amount of info in the Server header, but it won't let you lie.

3. Hack the source if you really want to waste your time and lie in the
Server header.

Joshua.