httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Logging HTTP Posts
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:51:47 GMT

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Errol Neal wrote:

> SetEnv Request_Method  Post getpost

the request method and SetEnv are both case sensitive, so you probably
want to use POST here.

> Would anybody like to give me any input? The apache docs say that the "%b"
> in the Log
> Format directive will log the "bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers". I would
> assume that in the
> case of the GET method this is from the server to the client, however in
> the caseof the
> POST method, is this the data sent from the client to the server?

No.  It is still the bytes sent in response to the post.

Apache 2 has mod_logio which can count this.  In 1.3, you can look at the
length the client reports in %{Content-Length}i, but not the actual
content received as far as I know.

> Also, the
> "%f".
> Will that capture the name of the file being posted/uploaded? And what of

It is the filename of the resource being posted to.  The name of the file
is probably embeded someplace in the post data.

> the "%T". Will that
> log the time it took for the post to be complete?

Not sure of that one.  I'm not sure if it starts counting at the begging
of the request, or only when the full request has been received.  It stops
counting after the complete response has been sent.  I would need to check
the code.

Joshua.