httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] need to restart apache twice
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:41:35 GMT

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jiri Barton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian stable and Apache 1.3.26-0woody3. I have several named virtual hosts
and some of them running over SSL (mod_ssl).
> The thing is, almost always I restart the apache by
>
> /etc/init.d/apache restart

First thing to check is what exactly is init.d/apache doing.

The normal way to restart apache 1.3 is with "apachectl graceful" or by
sending the signal USR1 to the parent httpd process.  If init.d/apache is
doing something different (like killing and then restarting), that may
cause problems.

Joshua.