httpd-users mailing list archives

From "mm" ...@bytron.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] NT4 and a remote location
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:16:30 GMT
Hi Jim

Why I want to map the network drive is that all the htdocs behind the
default page would be stored on a Network Advanced storage unit.  I want to
run apache on a low spec machine with little disk space hence why the htdocs
on another device.  Thanks anyway

Matthew

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 4:26 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] NT4 and a remote location

mm wrote:
> I have installed apache onto a NT4 platform.  Apaches works fine and I can
> run the web server locally on the machine installed.  What I would like to
> achive is to run the apache server on the NT4 machine but have the config
> file look up the index.htm on a different device.  Is this possible and
how.
> I mapped a drive locally to the network share but it didn't work

Matthew
	I am running Windows 2000 Pro for my Apache server (very similar to
NT4) and also could not get Apache to recognize networked drives.  I
sort of accomplished the same thing in reverse.  I have a network mapped
drive on this computer that is really the Apache directory on the
computer that is running the web server.  Most of the time that I edit
anything, it's done from this computer across my LAN.  I also have a
hidden and password protected sub-directory mapped with a different
letter.  That way V: is the Apache directory, and W: is my "secret"
directory.  That way if I'm at a remote location and need some file, I
can call my wife on the phone and all she has to do is move the file to
W: and it appears in the hidden directory (and just in case you are
wondering, I have her PGP encrypt anything real important).  She does
not need to know anything special to make it appear on the web site.
	This may not really be what you are needing to do, but it worked for me.

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/