httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache segmentation fault
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:24:46 GMT

Sometimes it's just that nobody knows the answer :-)

>I keep coming upon a segmentation fault with apache.  I dont
>know what is causing it.

A segmentation violation occurs when a program tries to accesss a memory
location outside of the memory that has been allocated to it. The OS
detects this and shuts the program down. In the case of large
applications which load lots of dynamic shared objects (like apache),
this problem can arise through inconsistent compilation. For example,
you compile and install apache 1.3.27 with mod_something (3rd party).
Later, you compile and install apache 1.3.28 but don't recompile
mod_something. Apache will run, but when mod_something is used it may
fail because it is expecting 1.3.27 (the whole pointer structure is
different etc.)

So make sure you recompiled all those interesting modules and stuff you
are using..

Regarding the "Opera" problem: I think it is highly unlikely that opera
is causing apache to crash. If you think about it, this means that it is
possible to craft an HTTP request which will disable an apache server.
Gosh - if the hackers get a hold of this, it'd be like a silver bullet
that could shooot down 60% of the internet!

Rather, I would suspect that the resource that you request with opera
causes your apache installation to wander into a piece of inconsistent
code where it hits a seg fault. So the problem can be solved by careful
recompiling.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>I think I have a core file lying around on the
>machine when this
>happens.  what is a good course of action to figure out what
>is going on here?
>  how can I analyze the core file to figure out what is going on.
>
>from the apache logs
>[Mon Aug 25 10:02:04 2003] [notice] child pid 2266 exit signal
>Segmentation faul
>t (11)
>
>a core file search - nothing found
>shell# find / -name "httpd\.core"
>
>so how can I generate a core file when apache has a
>segmentatino fault?
>
>- Noah

views of the sender's company.