httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reposting of Question: Setting Up User Authentication For An Entire Site
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:26:40 GMT

Just to be clear about this point:

- Basic Auth is used to restrict access to chosen users. A typical use
is to limit access to a members-only section of a website. There is no
encryption of the data stream.

- SSL is used to encrypt the data stream between the client and the
server. It prevents a snooper on the line from eavesdropping. This is
why it is necessary to use SSL if you are going to have people
submitting sensitive information like credit card numbers. SSL does not
secure a site against unauthorised access.

If you put the two together, the main advantage you get is that when the
user types in the password, it is transmitted in an encrypted packet and
so no-one can snoop on it.

By "very low security", Robert is pointing out that the password is
transmitted as a base-64 encoded word - i.e. not encrypted at all. Also,
there is no protection against brute force hacks (like trying 100000
logins at high speed with dictionary passwords) and no alarms are
generated if there are a lot of unsuccessful login attempts (though you
could browse the logs for this).

If you're protecting a site that contains information that people are
supposed to pay to see and you don't mind if someone occasionally gets
in for free, then Basic Auth is probably OK. But I wouldn't use it if,
by gaining access, an intruder gets to view private data about your
clients because that would leave you open to liability claims.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

So the two mechanisms are really orthogonal to each other.

>* If you are going to have a lot (100+) user, it would be wise to use
>  another method.
>
>* As I see it, there is no reason for using an .htaccess file;
>configure the
>  authentication directly in httpd.conf and refer to a
>password file (which
>  is not an access file, many seems to mix the two).
>
>Regards,
>Robert Andersonn

views of the sender's company.