httpd-users mailing list archives

From <cs...@fx.ro>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:12:51 GMT
It's good it works now. An explanation to this just crossed my head and I'd
be interested to find out if I'm right:

At the time you've had the problem did you have only one filename after the
DirectoryIndex directive? (I understand that it was indeed the correct name
;-) Like:

DirectoryIndex index.html

And did you add/copy/mangled that line yourself?

If these are true, it might have been something with the Unix/Windows line
ending. Adding some other Index.html, index.htm... to that line just moved
the line ending from the filename of interest, so it started to respond to
it.

Try to open the httpd.conf in vi and see if there is a ^M at the end of
(almost) each line, including that one. The editor from midnight commander
for example, doesn't see them.

Bests,

Lian Sebe, M.Sc.
Freelance Analyst-Programmer