httpd-users mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:52:57 GMT
I'm not sure you already put this in your config (afaik is case sensitive

DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html Index.html Index.htm

If so, posting the relevant bits from the config file would probably help.

Lian Sebe, M.Sc.
Freelance Analyst-Programmer
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jason Cicillian []
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 10:17 AM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem

  I have Apache installed from my Red Hat Linux 9.0 installation.  I have
tried hopelessly over and over again to get it to work right.
  What is happening is this:

  My Linux box is on a home network.  It has a DHCP address assigned by the my case
  The router is capable of using a virtual HTPP server and it takes my cable
modem WAN IP address of and re-directs it to the Linux box.
Sweet.  Accessing 12.x.x.x.x whatever from the internet DOES go to my linux

  BUT, when doing this, I get the Apache default (error index.html) that
says Apache is working right, now put your files in this direcotry /var/www
.... ok, now I configured the HTTP server in Linux and a virtual host.  I
used the Linux Box IP as the host name, server, name, everthing with a
pointer to the acutal directory containing my files.  In the search for file
types, I have index.html listed, as it IS the directory file index for this

  When going into a web browser, it WON'T find the index.html automatically.
I have to specifiy,  in order to load it up.

  At work, we have an older Linux OS running ( the old /home/httpd/html
directory structure), anyway, you just type in the linux box IP address and
bam, you load the index.html.   Not so for me... WHY??? I can't find it
anywhere online.

  Thanks for you help.

View raw message