httpd-users mailing list archives

From <cs...@fx.ro>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:52:57 GMT
I'm not sure you already put this in your config (afaik is case sensitive
too):

DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html Index.html Index.htm

If so, posting the relevant bits from the config file would probably help.

Lian Sebe, M.Sc.
Freelance Analyst-Programmer
www.programEz.net
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jason Cicillian [mailto:jacrebel@comcast.net]
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 10:17 AM
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Subject: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem

  I have Apache installed from my Red Hat Linux 9.0 installation.  I have
tried hopelessly over and over again to get it to work right.
  What is happening is this:

  My Linux box is on a home network.  It has a DHCP address assigned by the
router...in my case 192.168.0.102
  The router is capable of using a virtual HTPP server and it takes my cable
modem WAN IP address of 12.209.236.180 and re-directs it to the Linux box.
Sweet.  Accessing 12.x.x.x.x whatever from the internet DOES go to my linux
box.

  BUT, when doing this, I get the Apache default (error index.html) that
says Apache is working right, now put your files in this direcotry /var/www
.... ok, now I configured the HTTP server in Linux and a virtual host.  I
used the Linux Box IP as the host name, server, name, everthing with a
pointer to the acutal directory containing my files.  In the search for file
types, I have index.html listed, as it IS the directory file index for this
site.

  When going into a web browser, it WON'T find the index.html automatically.
I have to specifiy, 12.209.236.180/index.html  in order to load it up.

  At work, we have an older Linux OS running ( the old /home/httpd/html
directory structure), anyway, you just type in the linux box IP address and
bam, you load the index.html.   Not so for me... WHY??? I can't find it
anywhere online.

  Thanks for you help.

  Jason