httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mod_ssl expert needed
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:25:32 GMT
On 8/12/03 10:36 PM, "Aaron Morris" <aaronmorris@mindspring.com> wrote:

> That is actually kind of what I was getting at.  I have found there are
> problems with self-signed x509 v3 certificates (has nothing to do with
> SSLv3) on the Mac platform.  This was true in OS9, not sure about OSX.
> In my developement environments, I always use v2 self-signed
> certificates because of this issue.  Not sure how to do this with
> openssl, all of my secure sites use IHS which includes ikeyman for key
> management.
>
> Ian Huynh wrote:
>> There were some threads that I recall about this problem.
>> It seems that IE 5.x on MAC has a buggy sslv3 implementation
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/modssl-users@modssl.org/msg10086.html

As far as I can tell, IE for the Mac (I work in OS X) has numerous little
issues, PLUS also does not gracefully handle self-signed certs. I was
ultimately able to get IE 5 for Mac to accept self-signed certs created with
OpenSSL 0.9.6 -- not sure if that's v2 or v3. I did nothing that I knew of
to force it back to v2.

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President