httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tony Karakashian" <tony...@monstertruck.cc>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxying Questions
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:39:33 GMT
>> Sorry, I'm much too impatient to read through all that.  But I'll point
>> out that you are not using ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse correctly.

I can dig it.  I just wanted to provide as much info on what I'd done
so as to best illustrate where I was.  I, personally, go insane when someone
asks a question, but doesn't give any info. :)

>> The first argument to these directives is a URL-path (the part of the URL
>> following the hostname and port) on the local server.  The second
argument
>> is the full URL to the remote server.  If you want different actions for
>> different virtual hosts on the local server, put the ProxyPass inside the
>> appropriate <VirtualHost> section.

I think I grok what you're saying.  I'm trying to do this using hostnames,
but I should be able to pull it off using virtual folders?  So, to access
the home automation server, for example, instead of using
homeauto.mydomain.com, I should be using www.mydomain.com/homeauto?  I can
live with that as an alternative.

>> If that doesn't help you get further, I suggest you try asking a more
>> specific and direct question.  It would probably take someone upwards of
>> an hour to go through all the details you presented and give you a
>> complete response.  And if you need that much of someone's time, you may
>> need to hire a consultant.

I don't think my wife would consider that an option. :)  I wish I had a more
direct question to ask.  The problem I've run into is the info's spread over
so many locations.  Heck, it's not even right in too many places (for
example,
how I used the ProxyPass statements is taken right from the documentation.
And, as for compliling in proxy?  It took me many a guess to finally find I
had to do ./configure --enable-mods-shared="all proxy_module
proxy_connect_module etc" nothing else would work).  That's not to say the
docs are bad, they can just be quite a bit daunting. :)

-T