httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL not an option for virtual IP based hosts served by 1 external IP ... alternatives?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:55:40 GMT
Thanks for responding, Michael!

>You can configure it to have each virtual server using a different port. If
>you have a load balancer or NAT/PAT device in front of the server, you could
>hide the port number differences by assigning an address at the NAT device.

I did at one time have a LinkSys unit up front but it could only handle one address so I removed
it as something having no real application in my server environment, which is Mandrake Linux
9.1 with Apache2.0.47 for the record.

If I undersatnd your suggestion correctly, by assigning a unique port to the internal IP masqueraded
address for aach division, the problem of getting around secure traffic being defaulted by
Apache to the first virtual host it knows about is successfully dealt with.

Am I correct in this?

If so, I'm willing to give it a try on Saturday.

Thanks again for your support ....

George

--
George Walsh,