httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject [users@httpd] SSL not an option for virtual IP based hosts served by 1 external IP ... alternatives?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:46:16 GMT

This Group is establishing 3 centrally managed but entirely separate divisions, each with
its own web site, on a dual processor Intel server.

In the past, we've not had to address this problem because only one site was involved, and
that worked 'as advertised' using IP-based virtual hosting.

All the advice I've researched or received seems to state that I am out of luck - it cannot
be done.

So, because this is a pretty average business problem in the real world, I'd sure like to
learn how others found a workable solution. I've started looking at nat as a possibility but
I don't know whether that is another dead-end or not.

For what it may matter, I am using Mandrake 9.1 with Apache2.0.47. The system hosts its own
dns server for local resolution and it currently supports sendmail without problems.

All we want to do is ensure clients feel protected when they do business with us - but that
is obviously critical to our plans.

Any light you could shine into our darkness would be appreciated.

George

--
George Walsh,
Managing Director,