httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL not an option for virtual IP based hosts served by 1 external IP ... alternatives?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:49:46 GMT

Hi there, Owen! Haven't had any exchanges with you since back in my SCO days with UnixWare.
I made the transit from there to Mandrake 2 years back and with recent events, I'm more than
happy I did.

Thanks for responding!

>>From previous posts, I understand that you have 3 sites but only one IP
>so are using NBVH with plain HTTP. You now want to have SSL available on
>each site. Am I correct?

I have never even considered NBVH. I learned that part a long time ago. What I have are 3
registered URLs all pointing to the one external IP. Internally, I am using 3 nic cards. 2
of the 3 sites are IP aliased on eth0, 1 uses IP aliasing on eth1 and eth2 is the external
connection.

It is at this point I stopped to consider in greater detail where I was going with this. Each
site has its own LAN IP for internal use, another for its MX address and a third for its web
site.

I have not yet attempted to employ distinct port numbering in dns as is suggested in another
response today. From what you are saying, this is going to be to no avail, although I have
seen much mention of it in google searches.

>To get back to your problem. The only clean solution is to get
>additional IPs for the other sites.

I presume you are referring to external IP numbers, and not masqueraded numbers on the lan.
I have been assigned at least one other external IP, but nobody in the telco here seems to
have any idea as to how that would work from their perspective. Ah well!

Anyway, if I cannot solve this issue with the suggestions at hand, I will give serious thought
to setting up a new URL for the holding company; one external IP, one universal gateway to
all divisions. Adding a "/division_name" to the main URL won't be much of an inconvenience.
The universal gateway approach might even have marketing benefits because it would increase
exposure to our other businesses. Of course, the authentication boys won't be excited, because
one certifiate would now do the job, rather than 3 separate ones.

We shall see ....

Thanks again!

George

--