httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL not an option for virtual IP based hosts served by 1 external IP ... alternatives?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:34:33 GMT
Thanks for the response. I'm familiar with that documentation and I've poured through Wainright's
'Professional Apache' but they all seem to say I can't have (multiple) name-based virtual
hosts with SSL. Its only recently that I have discovered the same rule applies to IP-based
as well if you are handling more than one site. I realize the need Apache has for an address
to direct traffic to and the problem with encryption of the headers.

What I don't understand is how one host can get through the process - somewhere, somthing
is directing the traffic to the (default?) address for what it thinks is the 'main server'.
If this works, then the only thing I can think of doing is running 3 instances of Apache -
one for each site - aside from being totally wasteful, would this work? I'd rather pop some
more memory into the server if necessary than publish my client's credit card and contact
info to the unwashed world.

I've even given thought to eventually buying a server for each Apache/site, but the telephone
company cannot tell me how (or even if) they can split the static ip into 3.

Seems overkill, but its better than other kinds of abuse, I guess.

George

>Must read this doco.
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html
>One one IPv4 external address :
>you can run multiple name based virtual hosts listening on port 80
>but  you cannot run multiple virtual host on 443 and 80 because when the
>header comes in encrypted, apache has no way to tell where it should go.
>Hope that helps ;-)

George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,