httpd-users mailing list archives

From Errol Neal <errol.n...@enhtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache:SSL and HTTP-compression (negative effect on compression rate???)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:33:50 GMT
At 01:31 PM 8/14/2003 +0200, Robert Andersson wrote:
>jim meier wrote:
>
> > On the other side I read that ssl is on a layer that is located below the
> > HTTP-layer in the OSI model which would mean that first compressing
> > and secondly endcoding informations would not necessarily mean that
> > the compression rates go down !?

According to the OSI model, Encryption and Compression/De-Compression are
performed at the Presentation layer. This is before the data stream is
actually segmented for network delivery.

`
Errol

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal@enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249