httpd-users mailing list archives

From Errol Neal <errol.n...@enhtech.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Logging HTTP Posts
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:43:23 GMT
Hi all,

I have a client that is complaining about the length of time it takes to
post large
files to their php based web application hosted an dedicated apache  server
running
Apache 1.3.26. I am trying to isolate the bottleneck and I would
like to configure apache to log all http posts to a separate log file with
the size
of the post, file name, the time the post initiated and the time it completed.
I wanted to know if this was possible by using the Log Format directive in
this manner:

Log Format "%h %l \"%r\" %>s %b %f %T \"%{User-agent}i\"" http-post-only

And also by using the SetEnv directives like so:

SetEnv Request_Method  Post getpost
CustomLog logs/access_log_postonly http-post-only env=getpost

Would anybody like to give me any input? The apache docs say that the "%b"
in the Log
Format directive will log the "bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers". I would
assume that in the
case of the GET method this is from the server to the client, however in
the caseof the
POST method, is this the data sent from the client to the server? Also, the
"%f".
Will that capture the name of the file being posted/uploaded? And what of
the "%T". Will that
log the time it took for the post to be complete?

Again, I would sincerely appreciate any input from you guys (and gals) and
thanks in advance
for your help, time and patience.

Best Regards,

Errol Neal

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal@enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249