httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Madden" <jmad...@ivytech.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to force users to a 503 (apache 2)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:50:34 GMT
> I don't think you can do that with apache. the only way I can think of
> is to setup squid in front of apache and use the read_time_out option
> there to terminate the connection between apache and squid after certain
>  seconds.

Any chance that setting Timeout to something low could provide the same
effect?  I'm guessing that the CGI process will continue to run even after
the client is disconnected or forwarded to an error page, so that may not
be sufficient anyway.

> But note, this way end user will run into a timeout error not 503
> service unavailable.

I'm not so concerned with which error is thrown as long as we can set an
ErrorDocument for it to display a "please try again in 30 seconds" sort of
message.

> Btw, have you turned off keep alive in apache?

Yeah, forgot to mention that I guess.

Thanks,
  John

--