httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Denise Mangano" <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Mod_ssl causes apache not to work - urgent
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:42:21 GMT

Apache starts, but does not start properly.  When I run ps -aux | grep
httpd I get the following:
	www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
	www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
	www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]
	www     8074    0.0   0.0   0    0  ?        Z    10:07    0:00
[httpd <defunct>]

I am getting the following error messages in both my error_log and
ssl_engine_log:
	[error]mod_ssl: Child could not open SSLMutex lockfile
/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_mutex.30776 (System error follows)
	[error]System: Permission denied (errno: 13)

Apache is running as user: www, but the logs directory is owned by root.
Would this make a difference?  I changed the permissions of the logs
directory to be writeable to all.  All directories are owned by root,
except for htdocs (not being used) and www (for serving webpages)...
Here is my directory structure with permissions.
--usr      drwxr-xr-x
   --local    drwxr-xr-x
     --apache    drwxr-xr-x
       --bin        drwxr-xr-x
       --cgi-bin    drwxr-xr-x
       --conf       drwxr-xr-x
       --htdocs     drwxr-xr-x
       --icons      drwxr-xr-x
       --include    drwxr-xr-x
       --libexec    drwxr-xr-x
       --logs       drwxrw-rw-
	    --access_log        -rw-rw-rw-
	    --error_log         -rw-rw-rw-
	    --ssl_engine_log    -rw-rw-rw-
 	    --ssl_request_log   -rw-rw-rw-
       --man        drwxr-xr-x
       --proxy      drwxr-xr-x
       --www        drwxr-xr-x

The other log files get written to just fine.    One strange thing is
that as Apache is running, the ssl_cache.dir, ssl_cache.pag, and
ssl_mutex.12737 log files are opened with user: www and group: root, and
an httpd.pid file appears as root:root.  This doesn't look right to me.
I created user 'www' to run the apache service, but did not assign it to
any group.  In the /etc/group file www is listed as www:x:80.

In my httpd.conf file, I am not even using the LockFile directive.  Any
suggestions?  I'm thinking I need to recompile apache, cause it appears
to be a little screwy....

Thanks for your help :)
Denise