httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Blume <laurent.bl...@infores.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Shift_JIS Japanese character display
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:51:50 GMT
Nathan Butcher wrote:

> The page info tab reads that the encoding is ISO-8859-1
> So I went into Apache and chenged it to the Japanese equivalent which is
> ISO-2022-JP, except that now it looks even worse! (In fact most of the text
> seems to be invisible)

Note that Apache is not the sole responsible for page encoding, and
putting it in the HTML headers is not always sufficient.
In my case, I'm serving JSPs through Apache, so I had to make sure that
the content encoding for the JSP themselves was set to UTF-8.

> Note that junk only appears when I load the page from the apache server.
> When I have a local copy of the html document and open it in the browser, I
> have no problems.
>
> BTW, I am using Red Hat 9 on both client and server. I am viewing the page
> with Mozilla on RH9. It seems that mozilla in this environment can't handle
> Japanese too well, even when the page *does* encode properly... blobs and
> junk everywhere as the page scrolls down... :(

Hmmm, I've been using Mozilla 1.x for a while, on Windows and Solaris,
and it does work well for me on Japanese websites.
There might be some other problems depending on your X server, its
locale, and the installed fonts.

Do you have a public URL to show the problem?
Might help :-)

Laurent