httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sheldon Hearn <sheld...@starjuice.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache2 service won't start on Windows 2000 Server
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:58:17 GMT
On (2003/08/30 16:50), Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I am having exactly the same problem with Apache 2.0.47 on a Windows
> 2000 Advanced Server (_beginthreadex failed).

Okay, for the benefit of the archives...

Here's the error message:

(OS 31)A device attached to the system is not functioning.: Child 688:
_beginthreadex failed. Unable to create work threads. Created 146 of the
500 threads requested by the ThreadsPerChild configuration directive.

And the problem?

I was using an Asus PP-DLW with dual Xeon 2.6GHz processors.  If you
look at the Asus website's motherboard OS support page, you'll find that
the board doesn't support Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  It does,
however, support Windows 2000 Server.

We installed Windows 2000 Server, and now Apache2 is able to service
1920 concurrent connections -- more than enough for our application.

What a nightmare.  Four days of struggle, and it came down to RTFM. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.