httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sheldon Hearn <sheld...@starjuice.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache2 service won't start on Windows 2000 Server
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:50:45 GMT
Hi Steve,

I am having exactly the same problem with Apache 2.0.47 on a Windows
2000 Advanced Server (_beginthreadex failed).

This isn't an Apache problem[1].  I have a simple Java test class that does
nothing but fire up as many threads as it can.  The threads just sleep,
they don't try to listen for socket connections or anything.  The class
fails on this box as well.

My box is a dual-Xeon with 4GB of RAM.  Apache creates large numbers of
threads fine on Windows 2000 Advanced Server on a single PIII with 768M
of RAM, and a quad-Xeon with 2GB of RAM.  The Java test class works on
these boxes too, creating as many as 8,000 concurrent threads.

Did you manage to find a solution to the problem?  It seems a lot to
me like my combination of operating system and hardware simply can't
service high numbers of concurrent threads.

I'm a FreeBSD man myself, and while I can make FreBSD service high
numbers of threads, it's Java thread-handling is slow, and not suitable
for production (in my opinion).  Since our project needs both Apache and
Tomcat, FreeBSD isn't an option.

I've been bashing my head against this for 4 days now, and am a day late
with the launch of my project. :-(

Here's hoping...

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] I realize this thread is off-topic, but it's certainly a question
    that's going to come up again, so at least now there's a "this isn't
    an Apache problem" answer in the archives.