httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Simple user question
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:16:17 GMT
Hi Denise,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:58:48AM -0400, Denise Mangano wrote:
> I have a weird problem... I have two users set up on my RH 7.3 box, both
> belonging to the users group.  When I login as me (weblogin) I can su -
> to root no problem.  However, when I am as root anytime I mkdir, or tar
> an archive, etc... The owner comes up as arnied:20  (arnied is the other
> user on the system).  Does anyone know why this would be happening?
> 'arnied' is not currently logged on, and does not have access to su -
> password....

That would suggest (to me) that the arnied user has the same "user id" as
the root user.  As the user id is the significant factor, that would mean
arnied could do anything root can, without needing to use su.

The userid is the third field in /etc/passwd, and '0' is always root's id.
No other users should share it.

This is pretty off-topic, so I'd suggest finding a linux forum to discuss
these things further.

cheers,

Zac