httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite problem w/ special chars in url
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:09:14 GMT
Hi Thomas

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:51:20AM +0200, F?ld?nyi Tam?s wrote:
> Ok, now I see there's nothing to do with mod_rewrite, a simple request /%E1/
> (not /á/) cause 403 Forbidden, instead of 404 Not Found. I don't know why:
> %, E and 1 are US-ASCII characters. (and 'á' is in the extended section of
> ascii, so not an exotic unicode character) According to you: all other (non
> us-ascii char) are encoded. So I don't understand why this behaviour good,
> but I accept it.

To be more precise, the characters valid in URI's are a subset of the 7-bit
ascii characters.  None of the "extended" or "high bit" characters are
allowed, and various assorted punctuation and whitespace are valid only
when escaped appropriately.

Generally speaking, your web browser should be escaping your request before
sending it on the network.  Try a couple of other browsers and you'll
probably find a few that DO work the way you're expecting.  And then
complain to the company producing the browser you're having problems with
:)

Cheers,

Zac