httpd-users mailing list archives

From apa...@harrier.ch
Subject [users@httpd] mod_imap and the string '.map'
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:11:31 GMT

G'day,

Problem:
   After my ISP upgraded their web server on 7-Aug,
   some of my graphics no longer appeared on my WWW
   pages. When I would attempt to load my images
   directly in the browser, I would get the message:
     "Menu for /LHHH/LHHH.MAP.503_FirstAvenue.50000.gif
      [an internal server error occured]"

Resolution:
   The images which refused to appear were a
   series of maps [ like, graphical directions to
   locations in the area where I live ] for which
   I had chosen a file naming convention similar
   to:
     LHHH.MAP.503_FirstAvenue.50000.gif
   After a few email exchanges I got my ISP to
   tell me that my files were being interpreted as
   an image map and routed to Apache's mod_imap.
   They resolved the problem for me with a .htaccess
   entry, so I'm happy. I will steer away from
   the string ".map" in filenames (but I wonder
   what others are lurking out there....)

Anyway I found it odd that a string embedded in
a file name should be considered an extention
and just thot I'd mention it. (Yes, I searched
the bug list and FAQ unsuccessfully for "mod_imap".
And a quick search of the list archives also
yielded nothing related.) FWIW.

Configuration:
   Server: http://superb.net/
     SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-Engine
     Apache/1.3.28 (Unix)
     mod_jk/1.2.0
     mod_fastcgi/2.2.12
     mod_throttle/3.1.2