httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joseph A Nagy Jr <joseph_a_nagy...@charter.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is there any module that blocks IPs?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:55:35 GMT

On Friday 08 August 2003 12:44, Benjamin Krueger wrote this in an
attempt to be witty and informative:
> * Joseph A Nagy Jr (joseph_a_nagy_jr@charter.net) [030808 10:34]:
> >
> > On Friday 08 August 2003 12:30, Robert Andersson wrote this in an
> >
> > attempt to be witty and informative:
> > >
> > > I'm not aware of one, except mod_rewrite. I think you can make
> > > use of RewriteMap to perform this feat. Take a study:
> > > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

> > > Perhaps. If I have any spare time this week-end I might look into
> > > it as an exercise, but do not hold your breath.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Robert Andersson
> >
> > If the OP had read the Apache doc's, they'd see that mod_auth has
> > the capability of blocking by IP (although I've never gotten it to
> > work)
>
> Don't rewrite what already exists. mod_access already does this.
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_access.html
>
> <Directory /foo/bar>
>
> Deny from 10.0.0.1
> Deny from 10.0.0.2
> Deny from 10.0.0.3
> Deny from 10.0.0.4
> ... and so on ...
>
> </Directory>
>
> If they need to be in their own file, 'Include .blocked_hosts' will
> work fine. This is flexible enough that it can be limited to methods,
> pages, directories, domains, or sites. This module works, and has
> worked for a very long time.

I meant mod_access when I meant mod_auth. I still can't believe
mod_rewrite was suggested for this purpose.

- --
Message, the +3 Clue-by-Four of No Attachments to a Mailing List, and
the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker. http://jan-jr-ent.homelinux.org
http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org http://mc-luug.homelinux.org/