httpd-users mailing list archives

From Greg Webster <g...@intouch.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Shutting down Apache very gracefully
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:20:19 GMT

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before in a number of places (available on
Google), but it seems to have never been resolved.

We've got a number of Apache webservers sitting behind a load-balancing
controller. Occasionally we have to take one of the webservers down to
make changes, and once in a while taking a webserver down causes broken
connections for our users or our automated webserver-checkers.

What I want is a way to shut down Apache by killing idle child processes
until all of them are dead and not accepting new requests. Then Apache
can die without causing any broken connections. We've tried all the
standard methods and the broken connections still occur.

Is there any 'best' way, or some way to do what I have listed above?

Thank you,

Greg

--
Greg Webster - greg@intouch.ca