httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setting Up User Authentication For An Entire Site
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:55:07 GMT
Kaplan, Andrew H wrote:
> The idea is when a user brings up the website on his/her browser,
> he/she will be immediately prompted for a password. Once that is provided,
> the user will have access to the various sections of the site that have
> been set up. I was planning on using the .htaccess file for the passwords,
and
> configuring the httpd.conf file so that password authentication will take
> place at the root of the Documents directory.

No need to use access files. Do the configuration directly in httpd.conf.

Create the password file somewhere outside the web space, using the htpasswd
utility:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/htpasswd.html

Modify the configuration for you document root:

<Dirctory /var/www/Documents>

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Area"
    AuthUserFile /path/to/passwordfile
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

That should be enough. Take a look a this guide for more information:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html

Regards,
Robert Andersson